Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Fresh Start

Mainly to hold myself accountable. And keep track of things. I really, really, really love photography. And I need to get better at it. So this is going to be a place for me to work on that, and hopefully see some progress. Also, it will probably be a place for me to bitch/brag about my kids. My goal here is a post a day. We shall see how that goes.

Anyhow, I bought a Nikon D60 about a month ago. I love it. I'm an idiot, I had the chance to get a dslr late last year, and flaked out and got the Canon S5IS instead. It sucks, it takes good video for a camera, and decent macro shots, but other than that, pos. So after months of not liking it, I got the D60. I am slowly learning about aperture, metering, white balance, and all that fun stuff.

I got this picture with it right out of the box, with it's 18-55mm lens, all settings on auto:

Blue eyes

Of course, the 18-55mm lens is fine and dandy for basic pictures, but I am a fan of nature photography. I like birds. I couldn't even tell you why, I kind of collect bird pictures. It's rubbing off on the kids too, Jake begged to take the bird identification book to bed with him. And instead of sleeping, he's going through it. And then I hear "Mom, I found the Hairy Woodpecker!!!" Nice. I got the 55-200 AFS VR lens to help me with my bird hunting. My favorite shots from the past month with that lens:

Yellow Headed Blackbird 2

Warbler 2

Chickadee

Then, I wanted just one more lens, lol. I went with the 50mm 1:1.4d. This is a much tougher lens to use, and it's teaching me what exactly all the manual settings do. Here are some of the better shots I've gotten with it:

Danny Sleeping

Kitty Fangs

Danny and the Bear

So there you have it. I'm not sure where I want to go with this photography obsession, ideally I'd like to make some money at it. Wish me luck!

No comments: