Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mission Accomplished.

It was beautiful here tonight, so I decided to head out again in search of the elusive baby deer. I am nothing if not persistent. I bundled up despite the heat, bathed in mosquito spray, and headed out.

Maybe two minutes into the walk, I see these guys. I say guys because there was two of them, but you can only see one in this shot.

Buck

He didn't look nearly as happy to see me as I was to see him. He was giving me some pretty dirty looks, or what I can only assume were dirty looks. He was getting a little too close for comfort. The video where that hunter is getting his ass kicked (ahh, here's the one) by a deer kept running through my head. That is one scenario I wouldn't want to explain.

Then I scared a mallard off the shore.

Duck

I always feel bad when I scare an animal trying to get a picture. I try not to intrude that much, but in this case she surprised me as much as I surprised her.

Then I saw a little chickadee.

Chickadee

It is amazing how friendly these little birds are. They almost pose for the camera. And they will even sit on your hand. It helps if you have a little something in it for them, but I know that you really aren't supposed to feed them. I have trouble remembering that when they are looking at me with their cute little beady birdy eyes.


And no doe, no fawns. Hmmmm. I decide to make one more loop around, as I am losing daylight. And lo and behold, who do I see?

Doe Mama

Now this doesn't look like the itchy doe. She is a lot more cautious. I am still a little bit of a chicken after the buck incident, but she is a lot smaller. I could probably take her if I had too. And it turns out, she is a lot more cautious for a good reason. Two good reasons, actually.

Fawn and sibling

Oh, the cuteness. Look how soft and fuzzy they are. And those white spots. And teeny little deer feet.

Fawn grass

Fawn in Grass 2

Then some other people came along and Mama Deer moved her babies along.

No comments: