Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I feel like Ahab

I took the boys to the bird sanctuary today to try and show them the deer and the owl. They have people that walk around, I am guessing they keep an eye on the people visiting and the migrating birds. Anyway, we walk by them and Jake tells them we are looking for baby deer. I had told him on the way that when he was Daniel's age he saw a doe and her two fawns.

Doe and Two Fawns

I also told him that the deer I saw yesterday didn't have any babies with her, so we likely weren't going to run into any today. The bird sanctuary lady told him that there was a mama deer with two babies around and if we hurried we might see them. We didn't. With Danny and his non stop commentary, I didn't blame them for hiding out. We also missed out on the owl.

We did some ducks synchronized swimming



And a rare moment that didn't involve pinching, slapping or a "hug down"

Brotherly Love

Danny insists on wearing those glasses anytime he is in the sun. In Jake's hand is a compass that he got from McDonald's, so he can tell which direction that we are going.

So, I wondered if my chances of seeing the fawns would be better if I went back later in the evening. I headed back there after the boys were in bed, but still didn't see them. I did see the itchy deer from yesterday, but no sweet little baby deer. I heard that owl too, but he wouldn't show his face today. So I had to make due.

My little diving duckies were ready for sleep

Sleepy

I wonder if these are good eatin'

Shroom

Alas, tomorrow is another day.

No comments: